Any computer connected to the internet will have a unique address assigned to it as an address, with which other computing devices in the Internet Protocol Network can identify this system and communicate with it. It is similar to the addresses of houses which is unique to the particular house, and with which other people finds out the place. Internet Protocol (IP) address is unique to any devices connected within its IP network.
If you want to know the IP address and port number of your PC, You can find it out easily without having to dial the Windows support number. If for any issue, you contact your Internet connection’s customer service techies, you will be required to provide the IP address and port number of your computer. Here’s how you find the IP address and Port number of a PC or a Mac.
Instructions to find IP address and Port number of PCs without dialing Windows support number
- Click on the “Start” button located at bottom left hand corner of your screen. For Vista users, click on the button with Windows logo in it towards the bottom left corner.
- Double click on “My Network Place” on the left-hand side of the Start Menu’s screen.
- Select “Properties” and then select either “Local Area Connection” or “Wireless Network Connection.” Select Wireless Network Connection only if you use a wireless connection to access the Internet.
- Click “Support”->”Details”. A new window will appear with your IP address and port number.
Instructions to find IP address and port number of Macs
- From the bottom of your computer screen, select “System Preferences“. Select “Finder > Macintosh HD > System Preferences” if you don’t see the gears icon.
- From under the Internet and Wireless category, select “Network“.
- Depending on whether you use wireless connection or an Ethernet, select “AirPort” or “Ethernet“. On the right-side of the AirPort or Ethernet screen, your IP address/Port number will be displayed.
So this is how you can find the IP address and port number of a PC and Mac without dialing the Windows support number. With these instructions, your duty is made but simple, all thanks to Windows support team.