Dividing hard disk into multiple partitions helps to store saved data in different locations. This helps in saving data from being lost or damaged completely. Creating more than one partition has the following advantages:
- Separation of the operating system and program files from user files.
- A separate area for operating system virtual memory paging.
- Frequently used programs and data are kept near each other.
- Cache and log files are separate from other files.
- Enable multi-boot setups, that is, it can accommodate more than one operating system on a single computer.
- Protecting or isolating files. If one partition is corrupted, other file systems may not be affected.
- Raising overall computer performance on systems.
Windows will label all physical partitions with a number called partition number. All the partition in the Diskpart utility will get a unique number. The experts at the other end of Windows support number says that partitions or volumes are the areas where the system files are saved. The operating system will give each partition a letter for the convenience of the user. The primary partition will be always labeled C, then comes D and so on. Users can install system files and operating systems in these partitions.
The partition number of a disk
Experts at the Windows support number says that users can get the partition number assigned by the operating system to the disk partitions for repairing and formatting purposes. The partition number will give an idea about the physical and logical partitions. The instructions recommended by the executives at the other end of Windows support number is given here.
- Click Start and then type cmd in the Run box.
- Type diskpart to open the Microsoft disk-partitioning utility. Then press Enter.
- Type Detail Disk to show all of the physical hard drives.
- Choose the hard drive that contains the partition you wish to view by typing list disk.
- Select the disk by typing select disk # (Replace # with the number of the disk you wish to use from the list disk output).
- Type list partition. All partitions will be shown with their numbers on the disk sequentially.
- Type exit to exit from the diskpart and go back to the C:/ drive.
The list shown will have all the physical, extended and logical partitions.
Hope this was of use to you. Ciao!